This week in our kitchen we make South Africa’s Favourite Side Dish, there is no 7-colours or Braai without CHAKALAKA.Jump to Recipe
I swear I can’t go to a braai or family gathering and not have Chakalaka on my plate, I love chakalaka hot and spicy but not unbearable on the tongue.
This side dish is amazing with a plate full of braai’d meat.
But really, my favourite way to enjoy this is on a hot dog roll with melted cheese.
HOW TO MAKE CHAKALAKA
South Africa’s Favourite Side Dish – Chakalaka
1 large onion (diced)
1/2 green pepper (diced)
2 tablespoons curry powder
3 carrots grated
2 large chopped tomatoes
1 tin baked beans
salt and pepper to taste + seasoning (we used garlic, bbq spice and herb seasoning)
- Heat oil in a large pan
- Fry onion and green pepper
- Once onions are translucent, add curry powder and fry for a minute
- Add carrots and fry for a minute
- Stir in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper
- Cover pot with lid and allow to boil for 5 minutes
- Add 1 tin baked beans and season with your seasoning, stir well
- Cover pan with lid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes