Easter weekend calls for a warm hot cross bun with pickled fish. Tired of going to the store in search of hot cross buns and they’re super dry? Why not try your hand at making a fresh, soft, homemade hot cross bun at home.
These Hot Cross Buns are way better than the store bought ones. Once you’ve tried homemade, you’ll never go back.
What you need for Hot Cross Buns
How To Make Hot Cross Buns For EasterCourse: RECIPES
Easter weekend calls for a warm hot cross bun with pickled fish.
- For the buns
4 cups flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 packet instant yeast
2 large eggs (room temperature)
2 tsp mixed spice
60g butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups warm milk
6 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup raisins
- For the crosses
1/2 cup flour
5 tbsp water
- For the gloss
2 tbsp apricot jam
4 tsp boiling water
- In a large bowl, place flour, yeast, sugar, salt, ground cinnamon and mixed spice. Give that a good mix by hand.
- Create a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add butter, milk, eggs and raisins.
- Mix dough until well combined.
- Dust a work surface with flour and knead by hand for 10 mins or until the dough is soft and no longer sticky.
- Rise #1
- Place dough back into the large bowl and cover with clingwrap, place in a warm area to rise until doubled in size.
- Forming the buns
- Line your baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove clingwrap and punch the dough to release the air.
- Take one piece of dough, use your fingers to gather into a ball, then roll the dough briefly to form a ball in the palm of your hands.
- Place the ball with the smooth side up on the tray. Repeat with remaining dough. Line them up 3 x 4.
- Rise #2
- Cover the buns with clingwrap and place in a warm area for 45 minutes to double in size.
- Halfway through the rising process, preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the crosses
- Mix flour and water until a thick runny paste forms.
- Add mixture into a small ziplock bag and snip off a tiny corner.
- Pipe crosses onto the buns, no need to be perfect.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until the top is a deep golden brown
- Place jam and water in a small bowl, microwave for 30 seconds
- Remove buns from the oven. Brush with jam mixture while warm. Allow to cool before serving.
- Make the dough today, bake them fresh tomorrow
- Ensure your crosses are the right consistency, you don’t want a runny cross or a hard cross